Friday, July 22, 2011

Introducing the Friday Five

Hi there!

Welcome to the Friday Five, a little idea I had to pass the time until the release of One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost. Between now and August 30, I’ll be posting some of the five favorite scenes from the Night Huntress and Night Huntress World Series, written by guest bloggers who love this series as much as I do!  

So I hope you will come back each Friday, and join in the discussion with your own favorites!
To kick things off, I’m going to start with some of my favorite Cat scenes. It’s hard to just pick five for Cat, but I’ve managed to select one from each of the Night Huntress series books! 

From Halfway to the Grave

"Say it. I need to hear the words. Tell me."
I licked my lips and cleared my throat. It took three times, but finally my voice returned.
"I love you, Bones."

You know she loves him, but admitting it to herself is one thing, and telling him is entirely different. But when Cat manages to be honest with him and admits it, it’s really a wonderful moment in the story, before the poo hits the proverbial fan. It’s really nice that we didn’t have to wait for this moment until another book in the series.

From One Foot in the Grave

His hair was different. Honey-brown instead of the platinum blond from my memory. It was also longer than before, curling over his ears instead of hugging his head like a sleek helmet. Pale skin glittered against the ebony fabric of his tuxedo, such a creamy breathtaking contrast. Eyes so deep brown they were nearly black bored into mine with none of the shock I felt.

Objects in motion stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. I proved Newton's Law of Inertia, because even though my breath caught and my heart skipped a beat, I somehow managed to keep walking down the aisle.

Bones's gaze devoured mine. Inside me a completely unfamiliar sensation exploded, taking my lagging mind a second to diagnose it. Joy. Pure, unadulterated joy flooded me. I was actually about to spring forward and hurtle myself in his arms, when I stopped myself.

Another great moment of joy for Cat, and one we had been waiting for. Don’t you just want to scream at her when she stops herself? And I have to say, the physics reference is awesome!

From At Graves End

"Please don't wake me up," I begged, terrified someone would shake me out of my dream. I clutched the figure that seemed so real, squeezing my eyes shut." Just a little longer."

Another great scene! Bones comes back from the dead, and Cat can’t quite believe he is there with her. When she finally realizes Bones is indeed alive, they waste no time renewing their connection to each other. Outstanding emotional scene.

From Destined for an Early Grave

"You're a good friend.” I said.

That was all I got out. One of the Guardians closed his arm across my throat, choking off my attempted goodbye to my mother, and I was dragged out into the clearing. The blond female Guardian was  already in the middle, a long silver knife in her hand. Quick with carrying out the punishments, aren't they? I thought mustering up my courage. I couldn't bring myself to look at where people were gathered around Bones. If he was alive. I didn't want him to see this. I was hoping the Guardians would be really quick and  it would be over before Bones even realized what was happening.

There are so many scenes from this book that I would include on my favorites list for Cat, but I love the ending most of all. I still get choked up when I read this scene. As a matter of fact, the ending of Destined for an Early Grave is just full of awesome, from Bones getting prepared for the fight, to the bloody end. It’s emotional and there’s a happy ending, although Jeaniene keeps you on the edge of your seat through it.    

From This Side of the Grave

Well, I was done hiding, hating, or apologizing for the parts of me I hadn’t chosen and couldn’t change. If some people had a problem with my differences, that was just too fucking bad for them.  “That’s right, I eat vampires,” I said again, louder this time. I pushed his body away and stood, shaking the blood off my sword as I faced the remaining group of ghouls.

*sigh* This is also my favorite quote from this book.We see a very different Cat from the one we met in Halfway to the Grave. I love how Cat accepts herself here, and how she has grown throughout the series. I’m very curious to see what challenges, both personal and external, Jeaniene has in store for Cat next.

So, what are your favorite Cat scenes or moments? I’d love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I can't believe it's only a month until OGAAT comes out!!!

    So now you've got me thinking about my fave Cat moments and the first one that comes to mind is from TSOTG. Mencheres has just picked Cat up from the airport. He has always unnerved her and now she realizes its been for no good reason. She has treated him like everyone has treated her, her whole life. Time to make amends:

    “I don’t know what it’s like to hold a huge supernatural line together for over four millennia. The most I did at my old job was lead a team of sixty soldiers for about five years. Even though there’s no comparison between the two, I still had to make some ‘greater good’ decisions that were really tough, so while I was pissed at you over what you did, some part of me still understood. Besides”—I smiled wryly—“since your manipulating brought Bones and me together, it’s kind of hard for me to justify still holding a grudge.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. The At Grave's End scene is probably my most reread scene of the series, ever. The emotion from Cat was the highest we've seen, and it really drove home just how much she loves Bones and how his "death" crushed her. Love their reunion scene so much!! Great choices :)

    ReplyDelete